Saturday, April 30, 2011

London, England !! :D

My host family (Denise, Silvano, Luca and Elia) and I left the house around 6 15 am on Tuesday morning to embark on our three day adventure in London England, what an incredible host family I have and what an incredible city that was!!

Once we arrived by airplane in London we took the Tube (=British English for the Subway) to our hotel and dropped all our things off ready to begin this incredible adventure. We started off by going to a Wax Museum, it was so strange!! It really felt like I was in a room with celebrities, they all looked so incredible real. It was freaky because people would take pictures with them and so as the posed for the picture I wouldn't really know in some cases who was real and who wasn't, since I didn't know all the wax people in there. So I'd walk by someone I thought was wax since the museum was so crowded, and they'd start moving!! I'm convinced some people must have gone into shock there. It's unbelievable how real they looked.





Then we started walking to the Westminster Abbey!! On route there, we saw the famous Big Ben, the clock tower! We then arrived to the famous church and waited in line to go into it. Tuesday was the last day it would be open to public, so we were very fortunate with timing.. It was closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get ready for the Royal Wedding !! We went in, the church is absolutely gorgeous. To think, this is where it all happens and this is where the Royal wedding will be. The aisle you saw Kate and William walk down, I also walked down that three days prior to them. I hope everyone got a chance to see at least the high lights of that wedding, that was gorgeous. It was such a special church to be in, this is where it all happens. I loved it in there.. there were also news reporters everywhere and my host mom and I got interviewed about what we though Kate should be called since the Queen makes that decision! 





In the evening we went to a theater and watched a play that I'm sure all of you know as it was also in Toronto, we saw We Will Rock You!! Since I'm in love with the British accent, I loved sitting there and listening to the accent all evening since all the actors and actresses were British! It was also a really great play.

The next day we took a bus tour that lasted the whole day, 8 am until 7 pm! We drove out to the famous Stonehenge, Salisbury and Bath. Salisbury had a really famous church there with lots and lots of history to learn about, we even saw the Magna Carta!! It is an old document issued in the year 1215 and Salisbury Cathedral has one of the 4 copies left, and the one in the best condition. We also stopped for lunch and of course had the typical fish and chips .. so great!



In the city of Bath, we went to a Roman museum where they used to have their public baths. The whole complex was still in such great shape, oh how times have changed. They used to have one building where everyone took their baths their, in a giant pool... Now we have a bathroom, walk in turn on the shower and you can take one for as long as you want the water just keeps on coming. So weird to see the huge difference from then and now, and to grasp that people actually lived like that.



The Stonehenge was one of the major highlights of the trip to London. It just blows my mind, they have such little information about it.. Stonehenge was ancient to the Romans! It's incredible! How the heck did they get all those stones there, lifted up with huge other stones on top? It's just fascinating!! 





Once the tour finished, we arrived back in London and went to The Tower Bridge, London Bridge and ate dinner out on the docks at a really cool restaurant. 






The next and final day in London, was shopping day. I love the city, it's such an interesting cool place. The people are so friendly, even in such a big city like London. The majority of them are in good moods, friendly and extremely polite. It was a great atmosphere in that city, I would love to go back there one day. After the big day of shopping, we flew back home, the day before the Royal Wedding. I'm relieved we went home on Thursday because it would have been SO chaotic to be there for the wedding, and you'd have to camp out there to actually see something and be in the front row. The people were so excited everywhere for it, there were The Union Jack flags everywhere with Kate and Prince Williams face in the middle, almost every shop and restaurant had a note of congratulations on their window, that flag or something to do with the wedding!!






I had such an incredible three days, my host family here is absolutely amazing, I love being with them so the whole trip was just perfect. The sad time came to fly back to my home in Switzerland from London, but London, I will see you again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment