Friday, June 24, 2011

Last day of school..

Today I had my final day of school, and I didn't know it would feel this strange.

I admit, school wasn't my favorite thing of my exchange. In fact it was a little difficult, but what I realized was that I just found it difficult sitting in class all day as an exchange student which doesn't get any grades throughout the year so isn't taken very seriously when it comes to work, test or anything for that matter. However, there was much more to school than just sitting in class. It's the people that I met, the lunches I had and the people I ate with, the breaks between classes and the friends that I spent all of that with.

At the beginning of the year, it was a little awkward with the HUGE language barrier between every person in the class and I, but somehow we managed to make it work and we even had SO many laughs over it. Looking back 11 months ago, I would sit there and act everything out trying to simply get the right word out that I wanted to get across what I was trying to say. My life was a game of a charades.

Now, I speak German with them constantly, rarely saying a single word in English unless it's them imitating how funny they think some words that I say are, when they hear me speaking with the other exchange student in the class in English. They always say to me "holy moly!!!" They just love that phrase and how hard or weird it is to say from their German speaking tongue.

Throughout the day, there can be up to 9 hours of classes. Every 45 minutes we get a break of either 5, 10 or 15 minutes depending on the schedule. Throughout each break I went over to my group of friends that I became very close with throughout the year. They are such an amazing group of women and I have had so many tears of laughter over things that have happened or conversations we get into.  

Next week we have our final end of the year trip, we are going to the mountains for a week and all staying in a little house together up the mountain. 1 little house, 2 bathrooms, 24 women .. this is going to be interesting!! Nonetheless I am really excited for it and excited to be with everyone together for a week.

So as I walked out of my school today, I got a pretty sad feeling inside me knowing I won't be with this same class next year. the school system is really different here, the class doesn't switch around every period, it stays the same people, every subject and they stay together for their full  four years at that school. I will miss this class a lot, I have had so many moments and memories that I will never forget with them, and this class will be forever in my heart.

Love you F1C .









No comments:

Post a Comment