Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 20th, 2011

January 20th, 2011 is the date that I will always remember and know as one of the toughest days of my exchange.

On Thursday night I received the unfortunate Skype call from my sister announcing the passing of my nanny (grandma), Jeanne O'Hearn. My nanny was an absolutely incredible woman, that definitely left her legacy in this world and in my heart.

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the e-mails and messages. I have received many supportive messages, and all of you have been a huge help, thank you.

A friend of mine that has helped me through so much here recently, reminded me to remember the good times. So, that's what I did and I had quite a few stories to tell! One of my most favorite memories of my nanny, is when we were walking together and she was holding my hand. She told me my hands were cold, and I told her they always were.. she looked at me and said "Cold hands, warm heart."

As hard as times are right now, I know to just remember the good memories that I had with my nanny and the million games of crib we played together and the million laughs and moments that we shared.

I will never forget the way she would sit in her wheel chair and just look at me while holding my hand, or when we would go to her house for Christmas and the whole family would open all our presents in the basement, or sitting out by the pool at her house in Toronto on those hot summer days. Another memory that I will always have was when I drove to Peterborough the day before I left to Switzerland. I went down there alone, to go see my nanny. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I took my nanny outside. I parked her wheel chair on the front lawn of Fairhaven Nursing home and I sat in front of her in the beautiful green grass. I picked some flowers and gave them to her, we sat there together on this beautiful afternoon in the sunshine, surrounded by gardens, enjoying every moment. I will really miss her. However, she is with my grandpa now and she is joining her family that she hasn't seen for a while. She is onto her new adventure. And one day, I will be reunited with my nanny again, and we will have a rematch of crib.

I will have my family in my prayers on Thursday, January 27th as they attend my nanny's funeral. I'm sorry that I can't be there.

I miss you nanny. I love you nanny. Rest in peace.


My nanny's obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?n=jeanne-theresa-ohearn&pid=147978221&fhid=10828

O'HEARN, Jeanne Theresa (nee Wakley), R.N. - At Fairhaven, Peterborough on Thursday, January 20, 2011 in her 81st year. Beloved wife of the late James Thomas O'Hearn. Loving mother and will be sadly missed by Ann and her husband George Gillespie of Peterborough, Tom O'Hearn of Newmarket, Jay and his wife Lita of Tillsonburg and Sean and his wife Wendy of Whitby. Grandmother of Laura (Phil) Kimball, Jamie, Brent and Scott Gillespie; Ryan, Megan and Katie O'Hearn; Amy, Alex and Sarah O'Hearn; Shannon and Erin O'Hearn. Great-grandmother of Elliot Kimball. Sister of the late Richard Wakley, Doug Wakley, Marie Boyle and Jack Wakley. Jeanne was employed for over 25 years at Scarborough General Hospital as a Registered Nurse. Friends will be received at the COMSTOCK FUNERAL HOME & CREMATION CENTRE, 356 Rubidge Street, Peterborough on Thursday, January 27, 2011 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Funeral Mass to follow at 1:30 p.m. at the CATHEDRAL OF ST. PETER-IN-CHAINS, 411 Reid Street, Peterborough. Interment Little Lake Cemetery. The family invites everyone to return to the Heritage Room at the Comstock Funeral Home for a reception in memory of Jeanne. If desired, donations may be made in Jeanne's memory to the Fairhaven Foundation or Alzheimer Society. The family would like to send a heartfelt thank you to all the staff on the West View 4 of Fairhaven for the wonderful care they provided. Online condolences may be made at www.comstockfuneralhome.com 

1 comment:

  1. My condolences, Katie. You are already wise, Celebrating Her Life!

    ReplyDelete