Saturday, January 8, 2011

New family !!!!!

Today, I changed families from the Leuenberger's to the Geiger's. 

I had an amazing 5 months in Buus, it was honestly an incredible time and I learned more than I thought I would this entire exchange. The people in Buus are magnificent and I had the time of my life. Every Wednesday I went to the Sport Hall which I have explained in previous posts, and it was hard to see it come to an end. However, I wasn't leaving Switzerland just changing families so I will continue to see everyone!

Last night, was the final night with my host family and we celebrated it by having a Swiss Evening "Schweizer Abend" I chose my favorite Swiss meal - ROCKLETTE!!, and my host grandparents came over and my host family was there. The table was decorated with Swiss napkins, cows, Swiss candles, etc. And to top it all off, we were listening to good ol' Swiss yodeling!! Great family, great times, great final night. 





This is what my host brother drew on the white board.. :) 


The final evening!
So I packed my life into 2 suitcases, again.. and went onto a new adventure!





I didn't know much about my family, so to be honest it was pretty nerve wracking as Gabi and I pulled into the drive way of my new house. However, I had no reason to be nervous.. they seem like an incredible family. My host parents names are Andre and Elke, and my host siblings are Simon (8), Tim (13) and Sarah (15). Sarah has Down Syndrome, and I was nervous since I haven't been around that too much throughout my life. I had no idea what to expect but once I arrived, I knew she was going to change my life forever. To be honest, one of my weak areas is patience. I have never been patient, which is strange because I grew up having a brother that's the most patient person I have ever met. I always idolized how calm and patient he is at any given circumstance, and I was never able to do it like him. It will take some time to get used to, but she truly is one of life's major joys. She's beautiful. Sarah helped me unpack my clothes and put them away, then she showed me everything around the house. These children are absolutely wonderful, and for the first time in my life: I'm the oldest sibling! This family is going to be amazing at teaching me the virtue of patience, and I just know I'm going to learn so much from here.

The tradition in Lupsingen after Christmas, is that everyone drags their Christmas tree through the village  and they all meet at one area beside the forest. They burn their trees together and drink wine.



Afterwards, my host father, his friend and I went for a walk through the forest. I was so pleased to find out they have so many running trails all around!! I love running and haven't done much of it so I'm very excited to start that again.


Here are some pictures of my new village, Lupsingen: 




I have an amazing feeling about this family, and I really look forward to all the new experiences, life lessons and adventures that it will bring.

Today is my official anniversary for .. FIVE MONTHS IN SWITZERLAND!!! Wow,  time is flying.. I am almost half way and it's scary to realize that. The change to this family seemed so far away, and I am already past it. It's crazy!!!!

The other day I was in Basel, and saw this sign in front of a juggler.. just wanted to share it with everyone.


Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment