Friday, August 13, 2010

I already call them my family.

Once again, another amazing day here in Switzerland. I'm always so busy here, whether is be visiting / meeting people, touring the beautiful villages/cities or other typical Swiss things. Yesterday I went to a friends house, she owns a farm and I got to see all her cows. It was the first time I heard a cow moo in person!! It was really fun, and I also went to Muttenz and saw my school.. yikes!! It's really big so I'm really nervous for it. I know it'll be okay, but it's still a little nerve wracking. It's a really cool school though, everything is automatic doors and it has a separate building just for sports and gym class, with basketball courts outside as well. There are other exchange students there so it'll be okay, I just hope I don't get lost.. it's massive!!


(my school)

Today I went to my Gruzzi's house (my host grandma) with Isabella and Tamara. She made us a giant Swiss lunch, it was SO good! It consisted of wiener schnitzel, and this stringy eggy & flour food (can't remember the name), and vegetables. It was delicious!! I had a really good night, I met a lot of people that live in Buus. They had a street party/barbecue and everyone brings food and my sister Linda, introduced me to everyone. Everyone has lots and lots of questions about Canada, I love it! People also enjoy telling me lots about Switzerland, politics, history etc.. I really enjoy that also! It's really different here. Every man has to go into the military and train for 21 weeks. They usually do this between the time they finish university and start a new job. It's really interesting, and if you don't want to do it then you have to pay LOTS of money! They pay you like 1200 Swiss Francs a month to do it, and its obligatory.

I met some new people that were around my age, a little bit older. So after the barbecue I went with my sister Linda to their house and we sat and talked for hours! They are all very nice people and although the language barrier is still pretty tough, I can understand a lot of what they say. However, I only understand it when they speak German. I don't understand it when they speak Swiss German, it's very difficult. I go to language camp starting Monday, so that will be very helpful for me and everyone that tries to talk to me.

I need to talk about the people here for a second - they are unreal! Everyone is always happy and so friendly and welcoming. My family is amazing, my parents are hilarious and they are always watching out for me. My host sister Linda is not my 'host' sister, she is my real sister. Her and I are so close and it has only been 5 days, we always say we're 'shwesters forever' (sisters forever.) We're together a lot and she's always making sure that I am involved in the conversations, and tried to translate everything for me. My family constantly reminds me that if I ever feel alone, I'm not. They're all here and will be here even if it's 5 in the morning and if I feel alone, I can just go to them.

I know there are going to be hard days but it feels like I have lived here my whole life, they feel like my family, this place feels like my home. I LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment