Friday, May 10, 2013

Back in Buus!!

Yesterday was an amazing day, all around. I finally got to see one of my host families again, it was AMAZING to see them. It feels so good to be back in such a familiar place. It has been two years since I have been in this house and it was incredible to be back. I lived here for five months, and it really became a  home for me. As I came back here (two nights ago) it was amazing to see Gabby, Simon, Marius, Linda, Tamara and Isabella. When I walked in, it was the exact same smells, feelings, everything. After a few minutes of being back here, I genuinely felt like I never left. It felt so normal to be back, and so great to catch up. I felt so welcomed back, and they made me feel right at home again. I felt so normal just walking into the kitchen and opening up the fridge again, which is a big challenge to conquer especially at your first host families house, because it's all so new.

The next day (yesterday) was a really neat tradition here in Buus. It was perfect timing for me to be back in this village, because I got to see everyone again. I met a lot of people here in Buus, because there's a gym hall that all the girls gather at every Wednesday night to play sports and work out, and I met a lot of amazing people as I did that for 5 months. So in the North of Switzerland, many villages have this special tradition. The village all gathers together in the centre of it, and split into two groups. One goes one way, the other goes the other way. They all hike around half of the village each, and meet up at the end.  This traditionally signified the boarders they had, and to signify their land since it was always a bit in discussion of what land belongs to who, so this became their tradition every year on this day. After that, you meet up and each receive a bottle of wine or beer, and a sausage with bread, and drink together. It was amazing to see everyone again, it felt so special to be back. It was just like it used to be when we would get together, and that felt amazing. It truly is my second home here. We started around 1 pm and were all together drinking and talking until around 9 pm when we went into a portable bar that they had set up, and drank some more there. It's so social and special, it felt so amazing to see everyone again. They are very great people here, and so friendly. They're all really interested to make conversation, and it was that feeling when your hair on your skin stands up, and goosebumps show up everywhere, because it feels so damn good.

Today we relaxed a bit, which felt SO nice to take a day to lounge around. I can't explain how great it felt to be back in this house, and how similar it felt to being here before. Isabella and I watched Life of Pi, and we all relaxed, chatted all together, and enjoyed some great family time. Tonight, I was fortunate enough to have another fondue dinner. I love the food here, it's absolutely amazing, especially the fondue. You can't even explain it, you just have to try it for yourself.

Also, it was so nice to hear Buus' church bells again. You forget the little things after being gone for a while, and the church bells are absolutely incredible. In every village there's a church, and you can always here the church bells play at the same times that a grandfather clock would. During different times like church, weddings, or other events the bells will play for longer. I tried to get a video on youtube to explain the sound, but as I was listening to them on youtube, the actual church bells played here and it just isn't the same, you really can't imagine the sound until you're laying here listening to it yourself. If I could make a wish right now, it'd be for everyone to get the opportunity to live in Switzerland like a Swiss person for a few months, it's such a neat life here.

Here are a few pictures from the walk around the village, and the party after. I haven't taken too many pictures here in Buus, I have been too busy enjoying the moments. It's the best feeling to be back. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to take pictures of Buus.












1 comment:

  1. thats wild! sounds great Katie. They really know how to do things there, and its really nice to hear. Nice to hear the church bells over skype. thatll hold me over till I come:)

    ReplyDelete