Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I am ONE MONTH into my exchange!

I have never witnessed time moving so fast, it feels like I arrived here about a week ago. I am amazed at how far everything has come in one month, I am finally in the swing of things around here!! Tonight I realized how much of the language I have already learned- if you put me in a school situation with tests and stuff, I feel like I know nothing because I am never good with tests and our final exam is tomorrow. However, put me into the real life situation then I feel confident in how much I have learnt over the last month. Tonight, I spoke mostly all high German with my family and I understood mostly everything they said. I keep having to say, "Noch einmal bitte" (one more time please) and they go slower and then I can understand it ! When I look back, one and a half months ago I didn't know ANY German at all, and now I can understand a lot of it. It's such a good feeling NOW, but let me tell you - it was a frustrating journey before I got to this point. I just went with the flow, but some days were tough when it was a rainy day, I didn't know what anyone ever said, and people were getting frustrated with my lack of German skills. I felt guilty and hopeless with the language but I just kept laughing at myself for it, I would always look so crazy trying to get my point across with what I'm trying to say. So you learn to just take it as it is and realize that it's only going to get easier, just takes lots of hard work and time. Now, everyday I keep learning more and more and I'm ecstatic with the way it's all going.

After one month I have already changed so much, I can't imagine what 11 more will do.. The way I see situations, the way I see different people, the way I look at the world, it has all changed drastically this month and it's all just going to keep changing !

Things that I haven't done in a month: ( If you know me well, this will be pretty shocking)
- Haven't eaten a bowel of cereal !!
- Haven't gone swimming
-Haven't eaten a bowl of Mac n' Cheese
- Haven't had a steak
- Haven't had any barbecued food

However,
- I have met SO many people
-I am in the process of learning a new language
-I have seen unbelievable sights
-I am busier than I ever have been
-I have felt more emotions this month than I have ever felt before
- I have made friends that I will stay in touch with forever, some in which I am very close with
- I not only have one mom and dad, I have two of each.
- I have faced many fears
- I can use the bus, train and tram all by myself
- I am a lot more independent already.

If there was a way I could put the immense feelings of excitement into a jam jar and seal it up, I would. I would let everyone open it up and feel the excitement that I have felt. I would try to explain it, but I really can't.

All in all, I realize life's way too short to sit at home and do nothing. Do something !! Get up, live life and go out and explore the world. You don't need to hop on a plane, simply explore your backyard or plan a road trip. It's so thrilling to be out by yourself in the world, trying to find your way. I LOVE it and this is by far the best choice I have ever made in my life. I can't even begin to explain it, but if I tried it'd sound like this

ngdjgjhghshgoshoghrjhgrhgor.

No comments:

Post a Comment