Monday, September 6, 2010

live the life you have imagined

Tomorrow I present to my Rotary Club about Canada- I talk for about 15 minutes. I am a little nervous but it's part of the experience so I am really excited to meet the club that is sponsoring me. I prepared a power point presentation and touched on many different topics: the size of Canada (Switzerland fits into Canada 214 times!!!) , seasons, funny stereotypes, parliament, my family, my friends and my life in Canada. Not too many people know a lot about Canada so it will be nice to teach them about it! I get to meet both parents of my next two host families, they'll be watching my presentation and we will all be having lunch together. For some reason, I am more nervous for that than presenting in front of a bunch of Rotarians. I just hope I make a good impression and that they become excited for me to live in their house, I hope that it all goes well!!

When I first came here, I was actually worried about the little things like not having a cell phone and not being able to text my friends with what I'm up to or to constantly talk to them. Now, I realize how ridiculous that was and I realize that I spent so much of my life texting and on my cell phone and I actually feel embarrassed about it. I wonder how many  moments I missed while I was looking down at my phone, how many conversations didn't happen because I was distracted by my cellphone? It's really sad to think about, and I can guarantee it will not be like that when I go back to Canada. I have a cell here but it's for plans and emergencies, which I realize is all it should be for. I probably look at my phone twice a day, once to turn on the alarm for the next morning, and one to turn it off the next day. It feels so much better that way- I realize that I am always living in the moment now. It got to a point where I would check my phone constantly for texts to see if someone messaged me, but now cellphones are never on my mind and to be honest, it's a huge relief. I'm enjoying life a lot more and I'm so happy to realize that I don't need to be thinking about anything but what I'm doing that moment. I don't need to go telling people what I'm doing, I can just do it for myself and enjoy it. Since I have been here, I have really learned to live in the moment - whether it be because I feel homesick or because I'm seeing a gorgeous view. Sometimes it gets a little difficult so you learn to not think about anything else except for what you're doing at that moment, and it has made me enjoy every moment even more. I have learned to just focus on the now and not the past or the future, it's a great feeling.
                                                       



I am living the life I have imagined and dreamed of living.

I will let you know how the rotary presentation goes- knowing me I'll trip over some cord and do a face plant during my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment