Wednesday, September 15, 2010

unbelievable excursion


Coming to Europe I knew I would go to some pretty unbelievable history sites since this place is FILLED with history, but I didn't know it would be this interesting. You always hear about history in school and it never was the most fascinating subject since you just read about it in a text book, but seeing what everyone is reading about was amazing. I went to Augusta Raurica which is near to my town here in Switzerland and Julius Caeser walked the streets of this town and decided to make this a Roman city since it was directly in the middle of London England and Rome, Italy.

A Rotarian that is the chief of preservation for the Roman findings kindly donated two hours of his time to show me a few of the major findings including the theater that is 1 800 years old !!!!!!!!!!!! along with artifacts that have been dug up. They have dug up "excavated" so so so many things and he said that that's only 20% of what's underground, there is still 80 % of the Roman city under all the dirt that has been covered over the past years. They don't want to dig up anymore because it costs millions and millions of dollars to do that, and millions more to preserve it. They have a special underground camera so they know what's down there, they're just leaving it alone though. The theater was really neat, it's where they used to put on all the plays. We didn't get to go to the Amplitheater where the gladiators fought because we ran out of time but I have a year here so I'm definitely going back soon to see more of it. It'll be a nice spot to go by myself, sit in the  1800 year old theater or amplitheater and just relax. It's very very beautiful and I'm so happy that Donald took me to there, now I know where it is and the history of it so it'll be an incredible place to spend some free time at.





here's more information about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusta_Raurica

http://www.augustaraurica.ch/1/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment