Thursday, November 25, 2010

Almost knocked out cold? Thanks Swiss houses!

Switzerland rains SO much!! It has consistently rained for the last 3 weeks, and I am always outside walking around so you always have to have an umbrella with you. Unfortunately mine broke today, so it'll be a little interesting for the next few days until I buy a new one.. I like rain, but when it rains here it gets really cold. However, the huge positive to it raining here, means it is snowing in the mountains!! It's really neat here since the altitudes are so different from village to village. My village sits higher than most in this area, so we are getting the snow while the other villages below us get the rain. I go to the Alps a lot, so when it rains I know that it is snowing up there, which is so exciting since I LOVE snow. The mountains are so beautiful, especially when they're covered with white snow, so the rain is a positive here. Although I have to walk in the downpours, I know come Saturday and Sunday when I stand on the top of the Alps, the rainy days are all worth it.

OKAY, I need to tell you about the Swiss house structures! The houses here are all absolutely stunning, I'm in love with the houses. I live in a 3 story apartment, each family has their own floor and my house is on the top floor.  It took my head a few rough weeks  to get used to the structure, since it's like a triangle roof so all the walls slant down with some weird corners in some rooms. I thought I was finally used to the structure of it, until last week when I almost knocked myself out cold! I just finished taking a shower and was drying my hair, and flung my hair forward. Once I flung my hair back, flying into a standing position, I smacked my head off the slanted wall. For five seconds I was convinced I had a concussion, but then a bit later I knew I was fine and couldn't stop laughing at myself. Almost 4 months living in this house, and it still manages to beat me up.
I can't really explain it, so I took pictures to help you understand what I mean...

The first two pictures are pictures of my bathroom here, that's the corner wall thing I was talking about.. it was pretty painful!



The Kitchen, hasn't beaten me up quite as bad as the bathroom.
My bedroom, luckily I'm not the person that spiratically jumps on my bed with joy, so this wall hasn't been too bad.

PS!! I'm going to the most famous mountain in Switzerland this weekend, The Matterhorn !! I'm going with all Rotary exchange students in Switzerland, I'm SO excited!! The Matterhorn is the mountain shown on the package of Toblerone Chocolate Bars.. mmmmm :)


 I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend! And thanks for supporting me by reading my blog, it means a lot to me. It feels nice to be able to share my adventures with other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment