Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Matterhorn Weekend!

Another weekend I'll definitely never forget..

This past weekend I went to Zermatt with a bunch of exchange students!! I thought 5 exchange students together was wild, try 113! We started out with a major scavenger hunt, split into groups of 5 or so and had different tasks we had to complete.  We has to find 10 dialect words for that area, get a fried egg, get a picture of a bride and a groom, and the big finale was to trade the item they gave us with whatever we could find. The team with the best item won a huge Toblerone bar.. Unfortunately, that wasn't my group! We traded a spatula for a piece of delicious pie!! However, one group traded a spatula for 2 people so of course, they took the prize.

Then we toured a bit and had the best dinner ever - FONDUE !! I thought I was going to have a heart attack during that dinner, I ate SO much cheese.



Afterwards we went clubbing with the Rotarians that took us, that was priceless. We went to our first club from 8 - 10pm and we all danced really hard for those 2 hours.. When we finished we went club hopping to another one and stayed there for a few more hours! The Rotarians we were with, got up on the center platform and danced the night away with all of us, they were so much fun. 

Since we were outside all day and didn't have time to go back before we went out to the clubs, I went in sweat pants, big rubber boots and a sweater.. Perfect clubbing outfit! Not... However, I enjoyed being warm that day! So it was definitely worth it, and I danced away in my hiking clothes ! Woo!

                                         




On Sunday we went to the mountain Matterhorn! I was so excited.. We can't go on that mountain, but there's a mountain beside it that's a little smaller with chair lifts and we went on that.. It was 3000 meters high, so nonetheless it was FREEZING at the top with really strong winds. Some of the exchange students decided to stop half way, since it was just too cold for them because they come from Brazil, but the people that did go up had quite a shock. We went to the look out area and all of us had a massive group huddle to try to stay warm.. 


The Matterhorn is the most famous mountain in Switzerland, it's the mountain you see on the Toblerone package. The Matterhorn is a dream for the extreme climbers to climb, and 1 of 10 climbers sadly die on their way up. In the town we stayed in, there were many cemeteries filled with people that tried to climb the mountains surrounding it. It was quite sad to see.. here are some tombstones:



                                                       

We went to a Matterhorn museum and read different stories of peoples attempted journeys up the Matterhorn, it's quite scary.

The Matterhorn is beautiful, it was incredible to see it in person.. I will never look at the Toblerone Chocolate wrapper, or the Toblerone chocolate bar the same way again.. Every time I look at it, I'm going to remember this past weekend .. SO much fun. I love exchange students, so full of life and outgoing.. It's amazing to be surrounded by people like that.









1 comment: